BIG VISION--Together the global body of Christ will advance God’s kingdom through a unified prayer covering that will contend with powers of evil and darkness, to prepare the way for a powerful move of God’s Spirit in 110 cities around the world. Our fervent hope is that Prayer will be the catalyst that can help ignite a rapid spread of the gospel. We’ll pray for millions to respond in faith bringing new movements of multiplying churches that can transform nations.
FAITH GOAL--Together we will trust God to raise up two prayer-walking teams in every one of the 110 cities during 2023.
MISSION--Together we hope to see 220 prayer-walking teams to saturate 110 cities in prayer, praying “On-Site With Insight” between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023.
PRAYER-- “God, may your great name and your Son be exalted among the nations of the earth. Your eternal Kingdom will be made up of people from every nation, from all tribes, peoples, and languages. You have invited us to join you in this work. Lord, will You give me the grace to lead a prayer-walking team in 2023?
COMMITMENT--With God’s help, I will lead a prayer-walking team in 2023.
BUILDING YOUR PRAYER TEAM
- Ask God to raise up believers who walk with Jesus in their daily lives.
- Share the opportunity as the Holy Spirit leads you.
- Challenge committed believers to join the prayerwalking team.
- Look for believers who: spend consistent time spent in the word and prayer, obey Christ’s teachings, get along with others, respect authority, demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit.
- Ask individuals to pray about their decision before making a commitment to join the team.
- Discuss with potential team members possible dates and costs of travel.
- Ask God to give you a co-leader who can help with planning and details.
TRAINING YOUR PRAYER TEAM
- Determine the best way to communicate with your team members.
- Clearly define the vision and mission to the entire team.
- Meet together ahead of the prayer walk if possible.
- Make sure each team member understands the commitment they are making to team unity.
- Discuss basic travel protocol and security issues relevant to the destination city, including security sues related to phones, computers, and other devices.
- Go over team expectations--define boundaries and areas of freedom.
TEAM MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Each team member commits to brotherly love and unity.
- Each member builds a personal prayer team of two to three people who will pray with and for the team during the prayer journey.
- Each team member is responsible to complete any reading assignments prior to the trip.
- Team members may be asked to help coordinate aspects of the trip like travel, logistics, meals.
- Assign a team member to keep a journal during the trip to record insights, stories and the best prayers that can be used to write a final report.
TRAINING MATERIALS/SUGGESTED READING (to be completed before prayer walk)
- Vision casting video by Jason Hubbard
- Short teaching by global prayer leaders
- Team leader selects a passage of scripture and key verses for the team to read or memorize before the onsite prayer walk.
- Ask team members to study Appendices A and B.
4. WHERE TO PRAY
- Ask that God would give wisdom in the planning of how to saturate the city in prayer.
- Identify highpoints and strongholds--city centers, city gates, parks, places of worship, key neighborhoods, sites of historical injustice, government buildings, New Age/occult bookstores, refugee camps, and schools.
- Map key places to pray during the prayer walk.
- Utilize research provided about the city or from an Internet search.
- Divide the city into districts or quadrants and make a list of key prayer sites in that area.
- Pray around the circumference of the city.
- Have four sub-teams pray from the four compass points into the city center, share discernment, then pray for the city center together.
- Ask that God would give wisdom in the planning of how to saturate the city in prayer.
5. HOW TO PRAY
- Pray On Site With Insight (Appendix A—Prayer-Walking Guide)
- Pray the Bible (Appendix B--Spiritual Warfare Principles and Prayer-Walking Verses)
- Pray with Informed Intercession (known research/data). Team Leader provides research to the prayer team about the city.
- Pray as a Watchman and declarative Spiritual Warfare Prayers
SUGGESTED ITINERARY FOR PRAYER WALK
● Travel Day
● Team dinner, orientation and heart preparation.
● Pray for one another. Share and bear one another’s burdens.
Day Two through Day Six (may vary per team)
● Morning Scripture focus, prayer, worship.
● Vision casting--Share again about the 110 cities prayer initiative and the importance of each prayer walking team.
● Prayerwalk predetermined areas of the city.
● Consider incorporating fasting into the schedule.
● Team time each evening to share about what team members experienced.
● End day with praise and worship.
Day Six or Seven
● Team debrief and celebration.
● Pray for other prayer walking teams who will be traveling to other cities and for a global outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Commit to continuing to pray throughout 2023.
● Travel home.
One Week After Prayer Walk
● Team Leader sends a report to Jason Hubbard, firstname.lastname@example.org
● Glean and report any immediate, measurable results to prayer
● Stay in touch with team members as you are able.
Appendix A--PRAYER WALKING GUIDE
110 CITIES INITIATIVE, JAN-DEC 2023
“and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all types of prayers and requests” (Eph. 6:17b- 18a).
“Be sure God is addressed, and people are blessed” - Steve Hawthorne
PRAYER WALKING is simply praying on-site with insight (observation) and inspiration (revelation). It is a form of prayer that is visible, verbal and mobile. Its usefulness is two-fold: to gain spiritual insight and to release the power of God’s Word and Spirit in specific places, and for particular people.
WALKING in pairs or triplets, to be more discrete. Small groups allows more people to pray.
WORSHIPPING through extolling God’s names and nature.
WATCHING for outward clues (data from places and faces) and inward cues (discernment from the Lord).
COMMIT your walk to the Lord, ask the Spirit to guide. COVER yourselves with divine protection (Ps. 91).
CONNECT with the Holy Spirit (Ro. 8:26, 27).
DURING YOUR PRAYER WALK
MIX and MINGLE conversation with praise and praying.
EXTOL and BLESS the Lord when you begin and throughout your walk. PRAY SCRIPTURE to unite and focus your praying on God’s purpose.
ASK the Holy Spirit to direct your steps. WALK the streets, cover the ground in prayer.
ENTER and PRAY through public buildings with care. LINGER and LISTEN for God’s Spirit.
Offer to pray for people as the Lord leads and with their permission.
AFTER YOUR PRAYER WALK
WHAT did we observe or experience?
SHARE any surprise “divine appointments” or insights.
DISCERN together two or three prayer points and close with corporate prayer.
APPENDIX B--SPIRITUAL WARFARE PRINCIPLES AND PRAYER WALKING VERSES
“Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.” Colossians 4:2–4
PRAYING TOGETHER AS “WATCHMEN” OVER 110 CITIES
ASPECTS OF WATCHMAN PRAYER
PROPHETIC INTERCESSION is waiting before God in order to hear or receive His burden (a word, concern, warning, condition, vision, promise), and then responding back to God with prayerful petition what you hear or see by revelation. This revelation must be tested and confirmed by God’s written Word and others on your prayer team. We only see in part, but the Holy Spirit will help us pray according to God’s will for specific people, places, times, and situations (Romans 8). Let’s Pray ‘in the Spirit’ listening to his prompting, waiting on him for revelation and being led by him, praying ‘according to his will’.
BREAKTHROUGH PRAYER – Engaging in Intercessory Warfare Prayer
Spiritual warfare is real. Satan is mentioned over 50 times in the New Testament. In a city, region, or mission field, where Kingdom workers labor in proclaiming and demonstrating the gospel, make disciples, engage in transformational prayer, and work together for Kingdom impact, the enemy will press back.
Scripture is clear that Jesus delegated authority to his disciples to act as His ambassadors and to do the works of ministry he did. This included authority over all the ‘power of the enemy,’ (Luke 10:19), authority to act on matters of church discipline (Matt. 18:15-20), authority to be ambassadors of reconciliation in evangelism and discipleship (Matt. 28:19, 2 Cor. 5:18-20) and authority in teaching gospel truth (Titus 2:15).
- We clearly have authority to expose and cast out demons from unbelievers who are hearing and receiving the gospel. We must petition God in prayer to remove the blindness that the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers (2 Cor. 4:4-6).
- We clearly have authority to discern and deal with enemy assaults on the church, congregations, missions organizations, etc.
- When dealing with high level principalities and powers, we appeal in prayer to Jesus to exercise his authority over His enemies in the heavenly spheres. Intercessory prayer warfare is an approach to God, appealing to his authority over all evil on behalf of my family, congregation, city or nation.
- Psalm 35:1 (ESV), “Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me!”
- Jeremiah 10:6–7 (NKJV), “Inasmuch as there is none like You, O Lord (You are great, and Your name is great in might), Who would not fear You, O King of the nations? For this is Your rightful due. For among all the wise men of the nations, And in all their kingdoms, There is none like You.”
We ask God to bind, and forbid the principalities and powers over a city, a geographic territory or region that are resisting gospel advance, pulling down strongholds of the enemy, based on his cross and shed blood, his resurrection over death, and his exaltation to the right hand of the Father. We pray the plans and purposes of God with faith based on the power of his Name, and the authority of his written Word!
According to Psalm 110, everything in heaven and earth is to come under his feet; under his everlasting dominion! We have a responsibility as the one body of Christ in a particular city to legislate and govern God’s active rule and reign helping to change the spiritual atmosphere over the city that God has assigned us to!
We do not taunt or mock the enemy, but rather as co-heirs and co-rulers with Christ, seated with him in heavenly places, we assert the authority of the King over the fallen powers and over the effects they exert on people.
- Jude 9 (NKJV), “Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”
- 2 Corinthians 10:4–5 (NKJV), “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God.”
According to Ephesians 6:10-20, we ‘wrestle’ against principalities, and powers. This implies close contact. We must take our stand and put on the full armor of God. Our stand is based solely on his work and righteousness in the gospel. In the original text, ‘praying’ is linked to each piece of the armor. For instance, ‘put on the breastplate of righteousness, praying,’ take up the shield of faith, praying,’ etc. And our greatest weapon is the word of God, the sword of the Spirit. We wield God’s word through prayer!
“And take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel” Ephesians 6:17–19 (NKJV)
“Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.’ ” Matthew 4:10 (NKJV)
WIELDING GOD’S WORD IN PRAYER OVER EVERY CITY
PRAY THE LORD’S PRAYER OVER EVERY CITY. (MATTHEW 6:9-10)
- May the Father’s name and reputation be praised, and treasured in each city on earth as it is in heaven. May his name be revealed that it might be received and revered!
- May God Act as King in every sphere of society in every city - Kingdom Come!
- May God’s will be done, his good pleasure be fulfilled in each city as it is in heaven!
- Be our provider – petitioning for specific needs in the city (daily bread).
- Forgive us and those who have sinned against us.
- Lead us and Deliver us from the evil one!
- DECLARE AND PRAY FOR THE SUPREMACY OF CHRIST OVER EVERY CITY!
- Psalm 110 (NKJV), “The Lord said to my Lord, ‘Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.’ The Lord shall send the rod of Your strength out of Zion. Rule in the midst of Your enemies! Your people shall be volunteers In the day of Your power; In the beauties of holiness, from the womb of the morning, You have the dew of Your youth.”
- Psalm 24:1 (NKJV). “The earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness, The world and those who dwell therein.”
- abakkuk 2:14 (NKJV), “For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, As the waters cover the sea.”
- Malachi 1:11 (NKJV), “For from the rising of the sun, even to its going down, My name shall be great among the Gentiles; In every place incense shall be offered to My name, And a pure offering; For My name shall be great among the nations,” Says the Lord of hosts.”
- Psalm 22:27 (NKJV), “All the ends of the world shall remember and turn to the Lord, And all the families of the nations shall worship before You.”
- Psalm 67 (NKJV), “God be merciful to us and bless us, And cause His face to shine upon us, Selah. That Your way may be known on earth, Your salvation among all nations. Let the peoples praise You, O God; Let all the peoples praise You. Oh, let the nations be glad and sing for joy! For You shall judge the people righteously, And govern the nations on earth. Selah. Let the peoples praise You, O God; Let all the peoples praise You. Then the earth shall yield her increase; God, our own God, shall bless us. God shall bless us, And all the ends of the earth shall fear Him.”
- Matthew 28:18 (NKJV), “And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.”
- Daniel 7:13–14 (NKJV), “And behold, One like the Son of Man, Coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, And they brought Him near before Him. Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.”
- Revelation 5:12 (NKJV), “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessing!”
- Colossians 1:15–18 (NKJV), “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.”
PRAY FOR GOD’S KINGDOM TO COME IN EVERY CITY!
- Matthew 6:9–10 (NKJV), “In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
- Revelation 1:5 (NKJV), “and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth.”
- Jeremiah 29:7 (ESV), “But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.”
- Isaiah 9:2, 6-7, “The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; Those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, Upon them a light has shined…For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.”
ASK GOD TO POUR OUT HIS SPIRIT OVER EVERY CITY AND BRING CONVICTION OF SIN!
- Acts 2:16–17 (NKJV), “But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh.’”
- Isaiah 64:1–2 (NKJV), “Oh, that You would rend the heavens! That You would come down! That the mountains might shake at Your presence— As fire burns brushwood, As fire causes water to boil— To make Your name known to Your adversaries, That the nations may tremble at Your presence!”
- Psalm 144:5–8 (ESV), “Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down! Touch the mountains so that they smoke! Flash forth the lightning and scatter your enemies, send out your arrows and rout them! Stretch out your hand from on high; rescue me and deliver me from the many waters, from the hand of foreigners, whose mouths speak lies and whose right hand is a right hand of falsehood.”
- John 16:8–11 (NKJV), “And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.”
ASK THE FATHER TO GIVE HIS SON THE NATIONS AS HIS INHERITANCE!
- Psalm 2:6–8 (NKJV), “Yet I have set My King On My holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: The Lord has said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You. Ask of Me, and I will give You The nations for Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth for Your possession.’”
ASK GOD TO SEND FORTH LABORERS INTO THE HARVEST FIELDS!
- Matthew 9:35–38 (NKJV), “Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.”
ASK GOD TO OPEN A DOOR FOR THE GOSPEL IN EVERY CITY!
- Colossians 4:2–4 (ESV), “Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison—that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.”
ASK GOD TO POUR OUT HIS SPIRIT OVER EVERY CITY AND BRING CONVICTION OF SIN!
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 (ESV), “In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”
ASK JESUS TO BIND THE PRINCIPALITIES AND POWERS OF DARKNESS.
- Matthew 18:18–20 (NKJV), “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
- Matthew 12:28–29 (NKJV), “But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house.”
- 1 John 3:8 (NKJV), “He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.”
- Colossians 2:15 (NKJV), “Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.”
- Luke 10:19–20 (NKJV), “Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven.”
OVERCOMING HIGH LEVEL DARKNESS--EPHESIANS MODEL (Tom White)
Writing to the saints in Ephesus, Paul warns: “we wrestle not against flesh and blood,” but against supernatural forces of darkness. When the Apostle speaks of “powers, rulers, authorities,” he is primarily referencing high-level satanic forces, but such forces also exert influence over human institutions. Such institutions (governments; social, financial, religious, educational organizations) are subject either to godly, or ungodly influence. In many cases, due to human frailty and vulnerability to sin and self-interest, the best intentions of institutions may be corrupted by demonic forces. Thus, at city, state and national levels, human culture infused with idolatry becomes the landscape of high-level spiritual warfare.
I believe there are clear biblical protocols for engaging this warfare. Ephesians 3:10 describes the church demonstrating a supernatural unity rooted in humility. As believers walk and work together in love, and engage in prayer, worship and collaborative witness, the light of God’s truth exposes and weakens the deceptive and destructive power of the enemy. Wherever we serve, in whatever role, we are called to walk in the reality of the kingdom of God. The components of corporate unity, victory over the enemy, and collaborative harvest are clearly revealed in Ephesians.
Before a localized “city church” can hope to stand victoriously against darkness, the following components must be operative in some measure: (These components are foundational and essential for the church to stand against and overcome satanic influence over a community. To attempt to war against these forces without building this foundation is foolish, futile, even dangerous. Short-cut, commando-style spiritual warfare strategies that circumvent these components will not be fruitful.)
- Receiving revelation, by the Holy Spirit, of our full inheritance (hope, riches, power and authority to reign with King Jesus, Eph. 1).
- Receiving God’s provision of unity through the Cross (Eph. 2:13-22), all barriers and hostilities removed, “one new man” having common access to the Father.
- Living in experiential reality of love, through the power of the Spirit. (Eph. 3:14-20)
- Embracing humility that enables the preservation of unity. (Eph. 4:1-6)a
- Walking in purity in life and relationships. (Eph. 4:20-6:9)
- Standing against high level darkness in corporate authority. (Eph. 6:10-20)
CLEAR IMPERATIVES FOR A CONGREGATION, ORGANIZATION OR CITY GOSPEL MOVEMENT
- For believers in a community or region to walk in humility, unity and prayer, demonstrating to both heaven and earth that the Church, a society of sinners set free by the blood of Christ, actually works, and offers the only hope for humankind.
- To give priority to discerning and dealing with sin and stronghold issues resident within the Body of Christ before engaging in warfare strategies against supernatural enemies operative without. (Eph. 5:8-14, 2 Cor. 10:3- 5).
- To be alert and vigilant, praying protection for fellow believers serving “in the trenches” around us. (Eph. 6:18).
- For believers to stand and pray together in corporate authority, with faith and sacrificial fasting, to expose darkness (5:8-11), overcome the enemy’s schemes, and labor for the redemption of the lost (6:19, 20).
- To keep the priority of listening and watching for strategies birthed by the Spirit in season and in sync with the will of the Father.
IMPERATIVES FOR LIVING IN AUTHENTIC KINGDOM COMMUNITY.
- Speak truth to one another (4:25).
- Keep “short accounts” with irritation and anger (4:26, 27).
- Take initiative to bless and affirm one another (4:29).
- Practice regular, unilateral forgiveness (4:31, 32).
- Maintain sexual purity (5:3).
- Expose “deeds of darkness” (5:11).
- “Be filled with the Spirit…submit to one another” (5:18-21).
- Build healthy marriages (5:22-33).
More info & Resources at www.110cities.com